Curry & Pineapple Soup with King Prawns
This is a recipe I recently tried, and which was created by Sandra Bekkari, a nutritionist who cooks healthy food and also proves that healthy does not need to be boring! Original recipe can be found here, although, please note it is in Dutch, not in English.
- 1 pineapple, halved, cleaned and cut up – please keep half aside for decoration
- a neutral oil that can resist high temperatures
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 3 teaspoons Madras curry powder
- 2 cm fresh ginger, grated
- 1 tl Cayenne pepper (optional)
- a handful of mange tout or fresh broad beans, washed
- 2 teaspoons tomato concentrate
- 4 spring onions, sliced finely
- 400 ml coconut milk (or half -half coconut milk and cream if you like it thicker)
- 500 ml vegetable stock
- 16 king prawns, peeled and deveined
- Pepper & Salt to season
This recipe is a quick one, and although it seems complicated, it is not at all. The part of this that will take the most time, will probably be the preparing of the ingredients because washing, cleaning and cooking these will set you back 30 min for sure.
After having prepared your ingredients, take a sauce pan and put on a high heat. Add in the oil. Once the oil is hot, add in the onion and 2 teaspoons of curry. Stir and fry for a few minutes.
Now add in the bell pepper, ginger and cayenne pepper.
Stir and fry for a few more minutes.
Next we add in the mange tout and the pineapple, followed by the spring onion and tomato concentrate. Stir and mix well.
After a few more minutes, add in the vegetable stock and coconut milk. Bring this all to a boil, and once bubbling, lower the heat and cover with a lid for 10 – 15 minutes.
In mean time, on a second hob, place a frying pan and add on some more oil. Heat the oil to very hot and add on the remaining Madras curry powder. Stir this well and add in the king prawns. These only need a few minutes on each side to cook, so once one side has turned pink, turn over to colour the other one. Switch off the heat once finished.
In a deep plate or large bowl, poor in some soup with vegetables. Add on 8 kind prawns per person, and place some parsley and fresh cold pineapple on top as decoration. Enjoy!