Try something different this barbecue season with my easy peasy peperonata recipe. Diced mixed peppers are slowly stewed with garlic, onion and herbs until tender and bursting with flavour. Serve it with grilled meats or pasta, either warm or cold for a wonderful barbecue side dish.
- 3 bell peppers, different colours, cut into dices of approx 1.5 cm
- 1 garlic clove, chopped finely
- 1 red or white onion, cut finely
- 1.5 teaspoon of Herbes de Provence
- 200g peeled tomatoes, diced
- 4 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil
Add the olive oil to a saucepan and place over a medium-low heat. Add the garlic and onions and sauté for a few minutes. I would not suggest to have them colour.
Add the sliced peppers to the pan, stir and cover with a lid. Cook over a low heat for 20 to 30 minutes, stirring occasionally so nothing sticks.
Add the peeled tomatoes and herbes de Provence and continue to slow cook until the peppers are very tender, but not mushy (we’re not pureeing). Taste for flavour and season if necessary. You can serve while warm, or allow to cool before putting on your plate.